Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Tim Holtz 12 Tags of Christmas

Tim Holtz's much anticipated 12 Tags of Christmas have begun!  (it actually started yesterday) and this year I think I will play along for the very first time.  If you want to read more about Tim Holtz, you can check out his blog here.

I am going to stay true to the creative process he talks about in his introduction to his 12 Tags of Christmas.  He does not pre-plan anything, he just creates with what is around him (although somehow I believe he is surrounded by a lot of amazing things in his studio lol).  In staying with his creative motto, in following his 12 tags of Christmas, I too will just be creating with what I have around me.  I plan on taking elements of his tag to work with my supplies.  I also have to admit that as much as I love what Tim creates, the inkiness, grungi-ness, vintage-ness is so not naturally 'me'.  I really do have to create out of my comfort zone so I hope I can keep up.

Here is Tim's first tag:

Here is my Tim-esque Tag #1:
 
I took photos real time as I created the tag to show you my variation.  Sorry about the photo quality of the steps, I am in my basement so lighting is not the best.

First off, I do not have tag #8, so I am totally guessing the size of the tag to begin with.  My tag measures 3 x 6 and I just notched the 2 corners at the top.  Please if anyone can tell me the dimensions of the #8 tag, I would love to know.

He embosses the tag with a snow flake embossing folder.  I don't have one but I do have a snowflake punch.  So I just punched a few shapes from the same colour as my tag and glued it onto the tag.  The end result is a raised snowflake (which is what the embossing would do).
 
He then does some wet embossing...oh so not I do well so instead I dry brushed over my tag with white acrylic paint and then dabbed with modge podge for a little sheen.

 
He shows his way cool 3D pinecone.  I don't have that die but do have the 3D flower so I used that instead.  I randomly snipped at the edges with scissors to fold back edges.  I used acrylic white paint to dab the edge.  Again not perfectly, because you can see where I globbed the white paint but hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

 
I don't have the banner die he used but I do have some Christmas ribbon that I scrunched up.  I don't have the winter leaves diecut but I do have the autumn leaves and tattered leaves so I just used that.  I do not have the core cardstock but I did use Authentique christmas papers for the leaves.


I do not have NOEL word diecut but have Peace and used doublesided tape with Glitter Ritz (way less messy and the glitter stays on!)

Lastly, because I think I started with the bigger tag base, I used the reindeer as a backdrop under the Peace title because I thought it was too plain at the top.

So there you have it, I don't think I had much of the supplies Tim used but I think it turned out okay, it sort of looks Tim-esque-ish Tag #1, doesn't it?




1 comment:

  1. Love your tag. Can you tell me where you got your peace die cut or who makes it. Thanks. Lauri. Laurievans74@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always brighten my day!