Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DIY Wood Veneer shapes

Wood veneer shapes are fantastic ways to add that natural and organic feel to your projects.  I bought some wood veneer business cards at Lee Valley Tools.  You get 50 cards for about 4 bucks, don't you just love it when you can spend hubby's woodworking budget on your craft supplies, ha!

Anyhoo...I gingerly tested the wood veneer cards in my big lever punch and to my surprise it worked!  So then I ventured onto using my thin Sizzix dies (the big metal sizzix dies would work for sure but I wanted to test out the wafer-thin ones).   I found that shimming a piece of cardstock under the thin die gives it the extra thickness to cut smoothly through my Big Shot machine.  Even the Quickutz (they are now Lifestyles Crafts...but I still call them Quickutz!) with the foam on the dies worked to my surprise.

Some other ideas that I haven't tried yet but I think would be fantastic...would be to run the shapes through your dry embossing folder or wet embossing might work as long as the wood doesn't curl up from the heat...if anyone wants to experiment, let me know how it worked out!

Here is my card using the wood veneer diecuts.  I use them just as I would use chipboard shapes by layering and popping them up for extra dimension.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Virginia! Love love love this idea! I am definitely going to give it a try!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia this is brilliant! Told hubby that we have a reason to head over to Lee Valley, he is jumping for joy. I am going to try this using my Cuttlebug and will let you knwo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea Virginia and they turned out great!! I would love to try that, but I don't have any dies with my Big Shot, since I only use it for embossing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always brighten my day!